A VISIT FROM ST. NICHOLAS or
THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
Related Materials plus ADDENDUM Dec 2002
From the Shelves of
THE BOOKSTALL PO box 4037 Walnut Creek ,Ca 94596 Phone :925 947 1379
GO HOME OR PRESS BACK BUTTON TO RETURN .
Prices are plus shipping, handling and insurance. California residences add sales tax of 8 1/4.
Payment may be made by Visa/Mc or Checks. Institutions may be invoiced.
Reference explanation: The Marshall numbers refer to the book: The Night Before Christmas: A Descriptive Bibliography of Clement Clarke Moore's Immortal Poem. by Nancy Marshall, Published by Oak Knoll Press 2002.
Pess above for Nancy Marshall's bibliography home page.
1. Moore, Clement C. "A VISIT FROM ST. NICHOLAS".... in THE NEW-YORK MIRROR:
Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts. July 1, 1837 to June 23, 1838.
Volume XV. The poem appears on page 207 without illustration. There is a brief
introduction. 1837. A complete year bound. Leather spine, paper label, marbled boards. 416
pages/index Spine restored in leather with a paper label. Some foxing. All pages present. Very
good. A single poem appear on page 207 with a short biographical sketch of Moore. A very
early recognition of the poet, published the same year as the New York Book of Poets. $950.00
1A. Moore, Clement C. A Visit From St. Nicholas contained in NOTES AND QUERIES: A Medium of Inter-Communication For LITERARY MEN, ARTISTS, ANTIQUARIES, GENEALOGISTS, ETC. Volume Eighth. July-December 1853. The complete poem with a brief reference to the author appears on page 615, which is part No. 217, December 24. London: George Bell, Thomas Clark Shaw, printer. 1853. 1st edition. 3/4 leather, marbled boards & marbled edges. 8.25 X 6.50 in. 678 pages. Slight chipping to edges, slight cracking to exterior hinge, Good. Internally Very Good, bright, clean, crisp pages. The reindeer name variation in this edition is Dunder and Blixem. Additionally, instead of porch the word stoop is used. This is not only a very early printing of the poem, but the second British recognition. $500.00 Marshall no. 37.
2.PHOTO (Moore) ORIGINAL CHRISTMAS STORIES FROM BALDWIN THE CLOTHIER: HOLIDAY GIFT TO THE PATRONS OF THE BOYS' DEPARTMENT. Cover illustrated with Santa in an oval design with the words: "A Visit From Santa Claus". 2 other Santa images internally that first appeared in different editions of the poem. Dated on page 33, Christmas 1874. (1874) 1st ed. Illustrated paper covers, 7 3/4 X 8 3/4. 32 pages. Spine chipped, Good. Although the poem does not appear in the book, it makes reference to it with illustrations & title on the cover. Wonderful, unusual stories including "The Cat That Tried to Wear Glasses". 6 color illustrations + cover. $150.00
Not in Marshall, as the poem itself does not appear in this pamphlet.
2A.PHOTO Moore, Clement C. A VISIT FROM ST. NICHOLAS. Delicate blue & brown tone engravings. Estes and Lauriat, Boston, 1879. Illustrated stiff paper covers. 11 X 8.50 inch. (10 pages) Slight soiling to cover, else Very good, bright beautiful copy. Scarce. The contents are the same as an earlier edition (1862), except for the delicate border surrounding the title on the cover & ads for Lauriat other children's books on end papers. $ 550.00 Marshall no. 86.
3PHOTO. (Moore-author's & illustrator's names do not appear) THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS.
4 full page color illustrations by (Frances Brundage)Die cut, Chromo-color illustrated from
cover, rear cover blank. (14 pages) Crudely reinforced hinges, crease, chips to pages; a piece
missing from page 2. Sold "as is". Despite rough condition, this is a charming book and still
useable. $150.00 Marshall no.142.
4. Postcard (Moore) The Night Before Christmas....Chromolithographic printed Christmas
Postcard. With six lines from the poem slightly altered. Showing a child with a doll, Santa in
his sleigh, holy borders, gold edged. Holiday Series with stags head. circa 1914. Used with
postmark Santa Rosa California. $20.00 Not in Marshall.
5. PHOTO (Moore-author's name does not appear) THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Donohue,
No.141. Young Folks Edition. (pages 1-18) No date, circa 1910. Black & white illustrations from
various earlier sources. The name Weston appears on one illustrations & Dearborn Eng. Co. on
another. The book also includes "A Visit to Santa Claus' Shop". Color Santa face, dressed in red
on blue background, on stiff paper cover, Rear cover has fairy tale characters dancing in a circle.
(32 pages) Pages browned, spine edge rubbed, name on verso of cover. Just Good. $55.00
Marshall no. 190.
6. Moore, Clement C. CHRISTMAS GRAB-BAG. 2 drawings & an initial letter by Louis Koster. Cheshire House, N.Y. 1930. Limited ed. 1 of 750. Calico cloth on bds, 12 mo, 27 pages. Fine, Slip-case, rubbed. A sweet Christmas story of Joy, a little girl, and the receiving of gifts from a grab bag. Written by the author of The Night Before Christmas. Finely printed on laid paper. $65.00
Although this does not contain the poem, it demonstrates Moore's continuing interest in the
7.PHOTO (Moore) "The Story of the Night Before Christmas" by Vernon Ives. in THE HORN BOOK,
CHRISTMAS 1937. Cover illustration from Reginald Birch ed. of the poem, & photo of the
Bischoff edition appears with the article. Horn Book, 1937. Illustrated paper covers. Nick to
edge of cover, library stamp on cover, half of page 383 missing. Just Good. The section entitled
"Books for Christmas" recommends 3 editions of the poem: Birch, Hader & Bischoff. SOLD
8. PHOTO Sheet Music. Moore, Clement Clark. Set to Music by Ken Darby. TWAS THE NIGHT
BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Recorded by Fred Waring and his Pennsylvanians. Arrangements by
Harry Simeone. Cover red & white illustration on a green background. Original price of 75
cents, stamped over with 85 cents.Shawnee Press, (1942) Illustrated green & red paper covers,
4to. (16 pages+cover) Light spine rubbing, Very good. The first of the musical rendering that has
become standardized. $55.00 Marshall no. 373.
9. PHOTO Pop-up, Moveable book. Moore, Clement Clark. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Animated by Meg Wohlberg with 1 double page pop-up of Santa, 3 movable tabs, 1 set of double doors & slide up, 1 moving Santa. Crown Publishers, 1944. 1st ed. Illustrated boards, spiral bound. Sm.8vo, (18 pages) All pop-ups & moveables good. Spine edge rubbed, name on end paper. Overall Good. (no jacket).SOLD Marshall no. 381.
10. (Moore, Clement C.) "A VISIT FROM ST. NICHOLAS"...in THE FIRESIDE BOOK OF
CHRISTMAS STORIES. Pages 197-199. Edited by Edward Wagenknecht. One black & white
headpiece with the poem by Wallace Morgan. Bobbs-Merrill (1945). Red cloth, 8vo, 659
pages. Very Good, no jacket. An excellent Christmas selections. $25.00 Marshall no. 388.
11. PHOTO1 PHOTO2 (Moore-author's name does not appear on this edition.) THE NIGHT BEFORE
CHRISTMAS: A Saalfield Jingle Book. Color illustrated by (Ethel Hays-un-named) Stiff
boards 10 X 8 inches. When opened holds a set of 7 jingle bells & a spiral bound book: 9 3/4 X 5
inches. Saalfield. 1946. 1st thus. Illustrated boards. Oblong 10 X 8 , bds+(36 pages) All edges of
pexternal bds rubbed, internal book worn on spiral & dusty. Just Good. A scarce edition, with a
charming concept: jingle the book while reading the story. $175.00 Marshall No. 395.
12.PHOTO (Moore) "A Visit From St. Nicholas" in THE GOLDEN CHRISTMAS BOOK. Illustrated
by Corinne Malvern. 1st edition with crepe paper pop-up tree on end paper. Simon &
Schuster (1947) 1st ed. Illustrated, gold illuminated boards. 4to, 96 pages. Spine cover lacking,
tape to front cover, edges rubbed. Internally Very good. Even though the cover is rough, this was
truly "the Christmas Book" of the late '40s. $55.00 Marshall no. 399.
13. PHOTO(Moore-no author or illustrator given) NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illustrated
by (Eileen Fox Vaughan). Cover shows Santa sitting on a low stool with his list & quill pen
surrounded by toys including a wooden duck. Whitman, 1949. 1st ed. Illustrated paper
linenette. 4to, (12 pages) 1 inch white spot on edge of front cover, rear bottom corner slight wear,
else Very good, bright, crisp. SOLD Marshall no. 428.
14PHOTO. Pop-up. "Night Before Christmas" in CHRISTMAS TIME IN ACTION. 5 pop-ups (none
for the poem) Color illus. by William Kemp Tilley. All Occasion Book Publishing. 1949. 1st
ed. Stiff illustrated paper covers. Spiral bound/ 8 X 10 inch. (20 pages). Cover slightly browned.
all pop-ups present and good. Light spots to several pages, one page loose from spiral. Good.
The poem appears on a two page spread with a border illustration by Tilley. Contains: Santa's
Workshop, Night Before Christmas, Visit from Santa, Santa & Mouse, Visions of St.Nick,
Christmas Surprise, Christmas Morn, Jingle Bells & Holiday Fun. $45.00 Marshall no. 425.
15. PHOTO (Moore, Clement C.) A VISIT FROM ST. NICHOLAS. Illus. in color by M. (Mary Moore) Ogden, daughter of the author. 8 unfolded leaves: 2 with the poem, 1 with an explanation. from Life Magazine. (Dec.1951) Time Inc. Unfold leaves, 4to, 8 leaves. Near Fine. A facsimile published here for the first time from the manuscript illustrated by Ogden for her husband in 1855. $275.00
This insert in Life Magazine was to be removed and folded into a small pamphlet & stitched.
This copy has note been folded. The original manuscript is still in the family. See item 34 in this
list. Marshall no. 463.
16. PHOTO Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Illus. in color & two-colors by
Bob G. Watkins. Leo Burnett, Inc. Chicago. (1955) Illustrated boards. "Golden book" format,
(16 pages) Bds. slightly warped, Good. $45.00 Marshall No. 496.
17.PHOTO Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illus. by Charles
Clement. Whitman, Top Top Tales, 1955. 1955 printing. Illustrated boards. 12 mo, (28 pages)
Corners rubbed, name on end paper. Good. $35.00 Marshall no. 499.
18.PHOTO Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illustrated by Florence
Sarah Winship.A Whitman Pillow Book, 1963, 1966. 1st of "pillow book" format. (30 pages)
Slick illus. stuffed cover, 6 1/4 X 7 1/2, (32pgs) Top edge of spine rubbed, slight wear to rear
cover, Very Good. Florence Winship illustrated at least four different editions of the title, each
with slightly different illustrations. $65.00 Marshall no. 579.
19.PHOTO1,PHOTO2 Moore, Clement C. & Charles Dickens. A VISIT FROM ST. NICHOLAS: Facsimiles of the
earliest printed newspaper & pamphlet versions & holograph manuscript with a commentary by
Clifton Fadiman. Facsimile of Troy Sentinel & Boyd illus. pamphlet in front pocket. In TWO
CHRISTMAS CLASSICS. A Ginger Book/University Microfilms Library... (1967) 1st ed. Red
cloth decorated gold. 8vo, 19 pages +manuscript Very good. slip-case. Housed with the facsimile
of the first edition of A CHRISTMAS CAROL illus.by John Leech. Intro. & bibliographic notes
by Edgar Johnson. $125.00 Marshall no. 582.
20. Moore, Clement C. A VISIT FROM ST. NICHOLAS. With original Cuts Designed &
engraved by Boyd. Facsimile of the 1849, Spalding & Shepard edition reproduced from the
original in the Rare Book Division of the New York Public Library. Circa 1970. Buff paper
covers tied with a white cord. (16 pages). 6 1/4 X 4 ½ inches. Spot to cover front & rear. Neat
former owner inscription on inside front end paper dated 1977. Good. $25.00 Marshall no. 607.
21. Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illustrated by Douglas
Gorsline. Random House (1975) 1st paper edition. (1). A Random House Pictureback. Stiff
illustrated paper covers, (32 pages) Spine rubbed. Good. $15.00 Marshall no. 639.
22PHOTO. Moore, Clement. A VISIT FROM ST. NICHOLAS & THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS
in AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS IN ILLUSTRATION AND DECORATION.
Edited by Clarence P. Hornung.Second Enlarged Edition, Dover (1970, 1975) Stiff paper
covers, 153 pages. Pages 114-129 contain the poem twice: A facsimile of the Onderdock, & the
Porter Coates edition. Plus there are illustrations from other editions. Corners bumped. Very
good. $35.00 An excellent reference to Christmas illustrations. Marshall no. 635.
23. Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illustrated by Rene
Cloke. Derrydale Books, N.Y. Award Publications (1980) 1st ed.5th printing (e). Slick illustrated
boards, 4to (28 pages) Near Fine, no jacket as issued. $20.00 No other date listed. But
matches Marshall no. 893, which is dated 1994. Same ISBN number.
24. Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illus. by Leonard
Weisgard. Cover illus. Small Santa & sleigh flying over stylist houses. Grosset & Dunlap.
Nursery Treasure Books. (1949, 1981) 1981 printing. Illus. bds. 9 ½ X 11 inches. (32 pages)
Child's writing on one page in ink, Corners rubbed, top of spine rubbed. Just Good. no jacket.
$15.00 Marshall no. 418.
25. Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illus.by Greg & Tim
Hildebrandt.Golden Book, 1981. 10th printing (J). Slick illustrated boards. (20 pages) Fine. no
jacket as issued. $20.00 Marshall no. 695.
26. Moore, Clement C. Marshall, James, illus. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color
illustrated with wit & joy by James Marshall. Scholastic (1985) 1st ed.(1) Slick illustrated
boards, 4to, (32 pages) Near Fine, jacket. $65.00 This hardbound edition, has a different
ISBN number than the paperback edition listed in Marshall no. 731.
27. PHOTO Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illustrated by Tien.
Simon & Schuster. 1986. 1st ed. 2nd printing.(2) Slick illustrated boards. Sq. 8vo, (26 pages)
Very good, no jacket as issued. $20.00 This hardbound edition has a different ISBN number
than the paper ed. listed in Marshall no.739
28. (Moore) "The Night Before Christmas" in CHRISTMAS 1986. Illustrated with photos &
drawings. The poem appears with a color photo. Better Homes & Gardens, 1986. 1st ed.1st
printing. stated. Red leatherette decorated gold. 4to, 224 pages. Small mark on front cover, Very
good. The poem appears on a double page spread-pages 62-63 with a color photo of a little girl.
A Christmas gift book with poems, recipes, activities, stories, songs. SOLD Marshall no. 736.
29.PHOTO Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illustrated by Cathie
Shuttleworth.Derrydale Books, 1987. 1st edition. 8 X 10 3/4, Slick illustrated boards. Near
Fine. $30.00 Not in Marshall, although there is a Shuttleworth listed as no. 788. The ISBN
number on this edition varies from both Marshall references.
30. Moore, Clement Clarke.. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS OR A VISIT FROM ST.
NICHOLAS: A Reproduction of an Antique Classic. Color illus. Philomel Books (1989) 1st
ed.3rd printing. Red cloth spine with gold lettering, illustrated boards, 4to (24 pages) Fine.
SOLD Marshall no. 789. A facsimile of the 1888 McLoughlin edition. Marshall no. 789.
31. (Moore) "The Night Before Christmas" a section in THE SPIRIT OF CHRISTMAS:
Creative Holiday Ideas, Book Three. Slick illustrated boards, 9 X 11 inches. Page 8 shows a
photograph of a Christmas tree decorated with strips of the text from the poem. Leisure Arts.
Abrasion to rear cover. $25.00 Not in Marshall, as the poem does not appear complete.
32.PHOTO Moore, Clement C. Pop-up. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Illustrated by Joyce
Patti with 6 three-dimensional shadow box scenes, pop-ups. Stewart, Tabori & Chang, 1992.
1st ed. (1) Slick illustrated boards. 4 3/4 X 5 inch. (14 pages) Tiny bump, Very Good+, $35.00
Marshall no. 862.
33.PHOTO Pop-up. Moore, Clement C. Illus. by Ruth Sanderson. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS.
A Carousel Book. 5 three-dimensional scenes. Red ribbon ties. Ariel Books for Turner
Publishing. (1994) Slick illustrated boards. 8vo, (10 pages) Fine. $55.00 Abridged form of
the poem. Marshall no. 902.
34.PHOTO Moore, Clement C. A VISIT FROM ST. NICHOLAS (Twas the Night Before Christmas).
Illuminated by Mary C. Ogden, daughter of Clement C. Moore. International Resourcing
Services, Inc. (1995). Red Leatherette with gold letters, 6 1/4 X 8 3/4 inches. 44 pages. Fine in
jacket. $45.00 Marshall no. 911. Includes notes and history as well as a facsimile of the
Moore manuscript edition.
35. Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Illustrated in color by Leonard
Weisgard. Barnes & Noble (1997) 1st Barnes and Noble edition, (1). Slick illustrated boards, no
jacket as issued. Illustrated end papers. 8 3/4 X 12 1/4 inches. Near Fine. $17.00 A re-issue in
larger format of 1949 edition. This publisher not in Marshall.
Addendum with "New Arrivals"
36. (Moore) Original Single Page Add for METALLIC INDUSTRIES. Having a parody of the poem to advertise
Scoot-a-Way Scooters. The ad begins with the first two lines of the poem and then parodies. Charming illustration of Santa next to the bed with the children dreaming of the scooters.Child Life, 1922. Very good. $25.00 Not in Marshall.
37. Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illustrated on every page by Gyo Fujikawa. Illustrated end papers. Grosset & Dunlap, (1961) Circa 1967. Illustrated cloth, 9 X 12 inches. (26 pages) Slight, light red crayon mark on bottom edge of cover. Still Very good. no jacket, as issued. A variation from Marshall no. 537, in that this printing was issued without a jacket, evidence being an original price sticker on the cover & the cover is illustrated cloth, not paper. Also there is an ISBN number. $35.00 Marshall no. 537.
38. (Moore, Clement Clarke) THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illustrated on every page by Fern Bisel Peat. Merrimack Publishing Corp. Publisher no. 50506. 1986. 1st facsimile. Stiff illustrated paper covers. 8 X 10.50 inch. 12 pages+covers Fine. A facsimile edition of the 1930's printing. Publisher states..This is our version of the original 1930's edition...Peat, one of the foremost artists of the period. $35.00 Marshall no. 738
39. Moore, Clement C. Clement C. Moore's THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Color illustrated on every page by Kathy Wilburn. A Golden Book, Western Publishing. Pub.no. 450-1 (1987) (1993) Early reprint, 1993 stated. Gold paper spine, illustrated boards. 8 X 6.75 in. (24 pages) Very good. A 1993 printing of Marshall no. 746. $20.00 Marshall no. 746.
40. Moore, Clement Clarke. A Visit from St. Nicholas appearing in DEAR SANTA, A POP-UP BOOK ABOUT CHRISTMAS. Illustrated by Karin Williams. Wayne Kalama, paper engineer. Troll Asso.Long Beach. 1992. 1st edition. Slick illustrated boards. 10.25 X 8.25in. (10 pages) Near Fine. no jacket as issued. Contains five double page pop-ups, two of which are excerpts from the poem, an abridgement with only 7 stanzas of the poem present. $25.00 Marshall no. 844
41. Moore, Clement Clarke. Compiled by Evelyn L. Beilenson. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas....in CHRISTMAS TALES. Designed by Deborah Michel. Color illustrations by (Thomas Nast, Jessie Wilcox Smith et al.). The poem appears on page 5-11. Peter Pauper Press, White Plains, N.Y. (1993) 1st ed. (1). Slick illustrated paper on boards, 6.25 X 5.50 inches. 55 pages. Near Fine, Price clipped jacket. A beautiful little book with decorated end papers. Contains other Christmas classics...Yes, Virginia; Fezziwig's Ball, Gift of Magi et.al. $45.00 Marshall no. 883
42. Moore, Clement Clarke. TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS: glows in the dark. Color illustrated by Mike Artell with highlights on every other page that glow in the dark. Aladdin Books, Macmillan, (1994) 1st ed. Slick illustrated paper on boards, 10.25 X 8.25in. (30 pages) Small Christmas card glued to end paper, else Very good. no jacket as issued. The illustrations are composed of paper cuts, making this a uniquely illustrated edition. $45.00 Marshall no. 907
43. Moore, Clement C. THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Illustrated in vibrant colors by folk artist, Howard Finster.
Longstreet, Atlanta Georgia(1998)1st printing, stated. 8 X 10.25in.(26 pages) Illustrated end papers. Fine, in un-clipped
Jacket. ISBN 1-56352-533-X. This ISBN differs from the number in Marshall No. 942, which is dated 1996 and there are
two additional pages. Those two pages contain the illustrators photo and biography. Finster received a calling from God
to convert a swampy piece of land around his house into "Paradise Garden" where he would create art out of cast off
44. Moore, Clement C. TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS Featuring a Coca-Cola Santa Tribute. Color illus.on every page from the historical Coca-Cola art of Haddon Sundblom with additions by Garin Baker for Hallmark. Hallmark, (2001) 1st ed. (1) Slick illustrated paper on boards, 8.25 X 10.25 in (44 pages) Fine. no jacket as issued. Original price 7.95, PR2384. A 7 page explanation before the poem. Following the poem are pages for recording your own Christmas memories. $ 25.00