From the Shelves of
PO Box 4037 Walnut Creek ,California 94596
Nota Bene: new address,new phone 925 947 1379
Books may be ordered via email, phone or mail. Prices are plus postage $5.00 for the first
book and $1.00 for each additional book. And plus California Sales Tax for residents of
the state, 8 1/4 percent. Books are shipped Media Rate, Insured.
Please read descriptions carefully to ascertain condition of dust jackets & types of binding.
Books Written & Illustrated by Maurice Sendak
1.PHOTO Sendak, Maurice. CALDECOTT & CO. Notes on Books and Pictures. Illustrations from
works of other illustrators; with decorations by Sendak & lovely illustrated slipcase. Farrer
Strauss & Giroux (1988) 1st ed. Limited No. 101 of 250. Black cloth dec.gold Sendak figure.
8vo, 216 pages. Fine. in original illustrated slipcase. Signed on the limitation page by
Sendak.Sendak discusses the history of illustrated books and their illustrators. $450.00
2. Sendak, Maurice. CALDECOTT & CO: Notes on Books & Pictures. Blk/wh. illus. from
classics. FSG, (1988) 1st ed.stated. Cloth, 8vo, 216pgs. Fine, dw. $95.00
3.PHOTO Sendak, Maurice. CHICKEN SOUP WITH RICE: A Book of Months. Black, blue, yellow
& green illustrations by Sendak. Scholastic, Starline (December...1968) 1st Scholastic Ed. stated.
Illus. paper covers. 7 1/2 X 5 1/4, 30 pages. Slight cut mark on cover, still Bright, tight and clean.
Very good. $30.00
4. Sendak, Maurice. FANTASY SKETCHES. 10 leaves of black & white drawings by Sendak,
printed one side. Philip H. & A.S.W. Rosenbach Foundation, Phil. 1970 (1973) 1st ed.2nd prting.
stated. Illus. paper covers. 4to, 6 pgs+10 leaves Very good+. Published on the occassion of an
exhibition of Sendak art at the Foundation. All the drawings were from sketches Sendak did
between 1952-1957. $45.00
The First Book Both Written & Illustrated by Sendak
5. Sendak, Maurice. KENNY'S WINDOW. Illus. by Sendak in line drawings printed over tan
& gray backgrounds. Harper & Bros. (1956) 1st ed. Brown cloth spine/biege pictorial bds,
Lg.8vo, (62pgs) Spots to edge of spine, VG. Jacket chips,price clipped. SOLD
The first book both written & illustrated by Maurice Sendak.
6. Sendak, Maurice. NUTSHELL LIBRARY: ALIGATORS ALL AROUND, CHICKEN
SOUP WITH RICE, ONE WAS JOHNNY, PIERRE. 4 vols.illustrated by Sendak. Each book
has a different colored spine on the jacket, unlike later ed.which have a uniform color. Harper &
Row. (1962) 1st ed. Pink cloth with small acorn design. 24 mo. Spines of jackets rubbed, all
edges of slipcase rubbed. Very good. $150.00
While this set does not have a price sticker, it does have the pink covers. Additionally, the
original owner purchased it the year of issue. Hanrahan A51.
7. Sendak, Maurice. OUTSIDE OVER THERE. Color illustrated throughout by Sendak.
Harper & Row (1981) 1st ed. Brick red cloth with gold letters. Oblong 4to, (40 pages) Fine,
Jacket, unclipped. Signed by Maurice Sendak on the half title.$250.00
This Caldecott Medal Winner reflects the skills of Sendak. This first edition with the reguired
price (12.95) & original order slip laid-in.Hanrahan A110.
8.PHOTO Sendak, Maurice. OUTSIDE OVER THERE. Color illustrated by Sendak. Harper & Row,
(1981) 1st ed. Red cloth, Oblong 4to, Near Fine, tiny tear on bottom spine of jacket. Inscribed,
signed and dated 7 june 81 by Sendak on the end paper. Hanrahan A<10. $295.00
9. Sendak, Maurice. SEVEN LITTLE MONSTERS. Color illustrated by Sendak and printed
on one side of 16 leaves. Harper & Row, (1977) 1st Amer.edition stated. Illus. cream bds,
Oblong 12mo, 16 leaves. Near Fine. Jacket with original unclipped price (3.95) plus a
booksellers sticker with matching price. $125.00
Originally published in German in 1975, this is the first English translation and the First
American Edition. Hanrahan, A101.
10. Sendak, Maurice. SEVEN LITTLE MONSTERS. Color illustrated by Sendak and printed
on one side of 16 leaves. Harper & Row, (1977) 1st Amer. edition stated. 1st paper edition
published simultaneously with hand bound edition (original price on rear cover $1.95). Illus.
cream paper covers, Oblong 12mo, 16 leaves. Fine. with original envelope as issued. $95.00
11. Sendak, Maurice. SEVEN LITTLE MONSTERS. Color illustrated by Sendak and printed
on one side of 16 leaves. Harper & Row, (1977) 1st Amer. edition stated. 1st paper edition
published simultaneously with hand bound edition (original price on rear cover $1.95). Illus.
cream paper covers, Oblong 12mo, 16 leaves. Fine. without envelope. $75.00
12. Sendak, Maurice. THE SIGN ON ROSIE'S DOOR. Illustrated in black, red & blue by
Sendak. Harper & Brothers (1960) 1st ed. Grey cloth with red lines of Rosie & the cat. 8vo,
46pgs+2. Very good, bright crisp pages. Tiny chips & edge tears to jacket. Jacket,price clipped.
1st ed. matching all Hanrahan A41 (except price clip). $175.00
13. Sendak, Maurice. WE ARE ALL IN THE DUMPS WITH JACK AND GUY. Color illus.
by the author. Harper Collins (1993) 1st ed.stated. Tan bds, Oblong 4to, (56pgs) Fine, unclip dw.
14. Sendak, Maurice. WE ARE ALL IN THE DUMPS WITH JACK AND GUY: TWO
NURSERY RHYMES With Pictures by Maurice Sendak. Elaborate color illustrations on
every page with the text running through the illustrations. Harper Collins, (1993) 1st ed.stated at
rear. Beige bds. Oblong 8vo, (56 pages) Fine, Jacket, unclipped. Hanrahan A138. $55.00
15. Sendak, Maurice. WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE. Color illus. by Sendak. Harper &
Row. (1963) Circa 1971 edition. Grey spine, illus.bds. Oblong 4to, Near fine, Jacket, clipped.
16.PHOTO Sendak, Maurice. WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE. Illustrated in color on every page
by Sendak. Harper and Row (1963) Circa 1974. 1974 edition on rear flap of dw. Grey cloth
spine/illus.bds. Oblong 4to. Book near fine, jacket spot to rear, slighlty browned, unclipped.
Signed & inscribed by Sendak with an original drawing of the head of the horned wild
The original price is 4.95. The rear flap states...reprinted in 1974 from new engravings made
from the original art.
Books Illustrated by Maurice Sendak by various authors
17. (Sendak) Alexander, Lloyd, Natalie Babbitt, John Bierhorst et.al. THE BIG BOOK FOR
PEACE. Dust jacket, cover design & 2 pages (82-83) by Sendak. Other illustrators all in color.
Dutton, (1990) 1st ed. stated (1) Slick illus.bds. 4to, 120 pages. Fine, Jacket, unclipped. Created
by more than 30 of the best known authors and illustrators of children's books to promote peace
& harmony. Hanrahan A135. $65.00
18. (Sendak) Brentano, Clemens. trans.by Doris Orgel. THE TALE OF GOCKEL, HINKEL
& GACKELIAH: An Enchanting Fairy Tale translated from the German for the First
Time. Black & white drawings throughout by Maurice Sendak. Illustrated end papers. Random
House, (1961) 1st ed. Teal blue spine/bds. Sm. 4to, 143 pages (1). Very good, bright. Jacket ight
dust, clipped. $150.00
Although price clipped at the front flap, the rear flap matches to Hanrahan A44, with 2.95 for the
Long Nose Dwarf. A very handsome copy.
19.PHOTO (Sendak) Corsaro, Frank. THE LOVE FOR THREE ORANGES: The Glyndebourne
Version. Color illustrated with stage & costume design by Maurice Sendak. Farrar, Straus &
Giroux, (1984) 1st Amer.Limited 188 of 250. Light brown cloth with small plate, Lg.8vo, 119 +
pages. Fine, in original illustrated slipcase. Signed by the author, Corsaro, and by Sendak on
the limitation page. Finely printed on heavy stock, the illustrations are brilliant. Hanrahan A118.
A handsome edition. $450.00
20. (Sendak) Corsaro, Frank. THE LOVE OF THREE ORANGES: The Glyndebourne
Version. Color & blk/wh. illustrations by Sendak for Stage & Costume Designs. Illus.end
papers. Farrar, Straus & Giroux, (1984) 1st Amer. ed. stated. Cloth, Lg.8vo, 119pgs. Near Fine,
Original glassine jacket with publisher's price sticker. (with 2 inch tear) $85.00
21. (Sendak) Corsaro, Frank. THE LOVE FOR THREE ORANGES: The Glyndebourne
Version. Color illustrated with stage & costume designs by Maurice Sendak. Color illus. end
papers. Bodley Head, (1984) 1st ed. stated. Tan silk cloth with illus. 4to, 119 + pages. Near Fine
in original glassine jacket which has the original price sticker. $85.00
The original edition first issued in England. Hanrahan A117
22.PHOTO (Sendak) DeJong, Meindert. THE SINGING HILL. Black & white drawings by Maurice
Sendak. Harper & Row (1962) 1st edition. Illustrated cloth, 8vo, 180 pages. Very good, in worn,
chipped & clipped jacket. Titles listed on rear flap of jacket matches Hanrahan A49. $95.00
23. (Sendak) DeJong, Meindert. THE WHEEL ON THE SCHOOL. Black & grey & white
illustrations by Sendak. Harper Trophy Book, (1972) 1st Harper Trophy ed. stated. Illus. Paper
Covers, Sm.8vo, 298 pages. Slight crease to bottom edge of cover, Very good. $20.00
Winner of the Newbery Medal in 1955, the popularity of the book is demonstrated by this
23A. (Sendak) DeJong, Meindert. THE WHEEL ON THE SCHOOL. Grey tone watercolors
by Maurice Sendak. Harper Bros. (1954) Tan & blue cloth, 8vo, 298 pages. Neat inscription on
end paper. Light overall wear, Good. no jacket. $75.00
Opposite title page is a list of DeJong's other books, all of which were published before 1951.
24.PHOTO1PHOTO2 (Sendak) Dejong, Meindert. THE HOUSE OF SIXTY FATHERS. Black & white
drawings by Maurice Sendak. Harper & Brothers. (1956) 1st ed. Tan cloth dec.red, 8vo, 189
pages. Book Near Fine, Jacket tiny chip on bottom rear, price clipped. Very good+. Story of
children in China during the Japanese occupation. Scarce in this condition. All points match
Hanrahan A21 (but price clipped) $275.00
25. (Sendak) Engvick, William, editor. Music by Alec Wilder. LULLABIES AND NIGHT
SONGS. Profusely illustrated in color by Maurice Sendak. Harper & Row (1965) 1st ed. with
"1065" at base of front flap jacket and correct text on rear flap. Sm. folio, 77 pages. Dark blue
cloth dec.gold. Corners & bottom edge of spine rubbed & slightly frayed. Edges of cover slightly
faded. Good+, Jacket torn, worn & clipped. A surprisingly difficult book to find. Sendak
considers William Blake his influence for this artwork, note especially "Cradle Song" by William
Blake. Sendak even includes "the tiger". Hanrahan A63. $95.00
26.PHOTO (Sendak) Graves, Robert. THE BIG GREEN BOOK. A Modern Masters Book For Children. Black & white drawings by Sendak on every page. Crowell-Collier Press, (1962) 1st ed. stated. Illustrated green bds. 4to, 63 pages. Tiny rubbing to corners & bottom edge. No jacket as issued. Very good+, bright. Scarce in this handsome condition. Hanrahan A50. $200.00
27. (Sendak) Graves, Robert. THE BIG GREEN BOOK. Black & white drawings by Sendak on every page. Crowell-Collier Press, (1962) 1st ed. stated. Illustrated green bds. 4to, 63 pages. All edges and corners rubbed, cover label crudely removed, ink number on end paper. Just Good. No jacket as issued. A Modern Masters Book For Children. Hanrahan A50. $65.00
28. (Sendak) Graves, Robert. THE BIG GREEN BOOK. Black & white drawings by Maurice Sendak on every page. Crowell-Collier & Collier-Macmillan. (1968) 1st ed. of reissue.stated. Illus.green cloth, 8vo, (smaller t (64 pages) Small ink number on end paper, Very Good. Jacket price clipped. The re-issue is a much nicer quality than the first, although a smaller format. Hanrahan A50. $45.00
29. (Sendak) Grimm, Wilhelm, New translation by Ralph Manheim. DEAR MILI. 18 pages of beautiful color illustrations by Maurice Sendak. Farrar, Strauss & Giroux (1988) 1st ed. stated. Blue-green,stamped cloth, Oblong 4to, (38 pages) Near Fine, Jacket,unclipped. $55.00 A bright, clean copy with an original review laid-in. Hanrahan A130
30. (Sendak) Grimm. Translated by Lore Segal & Randall Jarrell. THE JUNIPER TREE AND OTHER TALES FROM GRIMM. Black & White drawings by Maurice Sendak. 2 volume Set. Farrar Strauss & Giroux (1973) 1st ed. stated. Brown cloth decorated gold. 8vo. Orange board slip case with black & white plate. Original dust jackets unclipped. (priced 12.95) Slip case slightly dusty. Near Fine. $225.00 Hanrahan A82
31. (Sendak) Grimm. Translated by Lore Segal & Randall Jarrell. THE JUNIPER TREE AND OTHER TALES FROM GRIMM. Black & White drawings by Maurice Sendak. 2 volume Set. Farrar Strauss & Giroux (1973) 1st ed. stated. Brown cloth decorated gold. 8vo. Orange board slip case with black & white plate. Original dust jackets unclipped. (priced 12.95) Attractive Bookplate on the front end paper of each volume. Slip case slightly dusty. Very Good+. $175.00 Hanrahan A82
32. (Sendak) Grimm. Translated by Lore Segal and Randall Jarrell. THE JUNIPER TREE AND OTHER TALES FROM GRIMM. Black & white drawings by Maurice Sendak. 2 volumes in one. Farrar, Strauss & Giroux (1976) 1st paper edition stated. Stiff illustrated Paper covers, sm.8vo, 332 pages.Corner slight wear, small ink number on end paper. Very Good. $55.00
33. (Sendak) Brothers Grimm. Trans. by Edward Taylor. KING GRISLY-BEARD. Color illustrated by Maurice Sendak. Farrar, Straus & Giroux, (1973) 1st ed. stated. Cloth, 8vo, Near Fine, Jacket, unclipped. A scarce clothbound first. Hanrahan A84. $150.00
34.PHOTO (Sendak)HARPER JUNIOR BOOKS, SPRING 1981. Illus. with photos of the season's titles. Cover color illustration by Sendak from Dear Milli. Harper Junior Books. 1981. Illustrated stiff Paper covers, 8 1/2 X 8 1/2in 16 pages. Fine. A handsome catalogue of the children's books for sale by Harper's in 1981. Hanrahan B19. $75.00
35. (Sendak) Hauff, Wilhelm. Translated by Doris Orgel. DWARF LONG-NOSE. Drawings by Maurice Sendak printed in black & pale yellow. Decorated end papers. Random House, (1960) 1st ed. Yellow cloth spine with dec.bds. 8vo, 60 pages. Small white marks to front & rear end papers. 1/2 inch edge tear repaired to rear free end paper. Very good. Jacket, unclip, chipped. The original price of 2.95 on jacket as required by Hanrahan A38. $250.00
36. (Sendak)Hoffman, E.T. Translated by Ralph Manheim. NUTCRACKER. Profusely illustrated in color by Maurice Sendak. Bodley Head, London, (1984) 1st British ed.stated. Cloth, 4to, 99pgs. Near Fine, jacket, unclip. $75.00
37. (Sendak) Hoffmann, E.T. Trans. by Ralph Manheim. THE NUTCRACKER. Color illus. by Sendak. Illus. end papers. Crown Pub. (1984) 1st ed. stated. Cloth, 4to, 99pgs. Near Fine, jacket,unclip. $95.00
38. (Sendak) Hoffman, E.T.A. NUTCRACKER. Uncorrected Proofs/Non-Consecutive Pages. Color illus. by Sendak. Crown Publishers. (1984) Uncorrected Proof, Illus.paper covers, 4to, (16 pages) Near Fine. An uncorrected proof with a sampling of pages and text. The rear cover gives the plans for printing, advertising & publication. $200.00
39.PHOTO (Sendak) I. Magnin. ORIGINAL CHRISTMAS CATALOGUE FOR I. MAGNIN. Continuing front & rear cover illustration in color by Maurice Sendak including his only image of Santa Claus. Dated 1981. I. Magnin (San Francisco & Oakland) (1981) 1st ed. Illustrated Paper Covers, 13 X9 1/2 inch. 63 pages. Near Fine. An extremely scarce Christmas catalogue from the now defunct I. Magnin's store who comissioned Sendak to produce the art work for the season. Includes a catalogue entry for Sendak characters. Hanrahan A112. $250.00
40. (Sendak) Jarrell, Randall. FLY BY NIGHT. Black & white drawings by Maurice Sendak. Farrer Strauss, Giroux. (1976) 1st ed. stated. Grey cloth dec. silver. 12mo, 30 pages +(1). Near Fine, Jacket unclipped with small rub spot on front flap from removed sticker. $85.00 Text and illustrations blend handsomely together. Hanrahan A95
41. (Sendak) Jarrell, Randall. THE ANIMAL FAMILY. Decorations by Maurice Sendak. Pantheon Books (1965) 1st ed. in 1st ed. jacket.Blue cloth dec.silver.12mo,179 pages.Very good, jacket with original price. Matches Hanrahan A64. (no isbn numbers, $3.50 on jacket) $95.00
42. (Sendak) Jarrell, Randall. THE BAT-POET. Black & white drawings by Maurice Sendak. Macmillan (1964) 1st ed. Tan cloth, 8vo, 42 pages (1). Book is Fine, Jacket has small chip to top edge of the rear cover, Still Very good. Jacket, unclipped. About the little bat who could not sleep during the day. Copy with the original price on jacket. Hanrahan A60. $150.00
43. (Sendak) Jarrell, Randall. THE BAT-POET. Black & white drawings by Sendak. Macmillan (Collier Books) (1964, 1977) 1st Collier paper edition.Stated(1) Illus.Paper Covers, 8vo, 42 pages. Good. $30.00 Wonderful drawings of bats and night creatures.
44. (Sendak) Krauss, Ruth. A HOLE IS TO DIG. Illustrations by Maurice Sendak, printed in black, text printed in brown. Illus. end papers. Harper & Brothers. (1952) Early printing. Black spine, illus. bds. 12mo, (48 pages) Neat inscription in red ink on end paper dated, 1963, but this edition appears earlier. Very good, Jacket, clipped, but fine. Grrr on page 23.All titles pictured on the rear of jacket were issued prior to 1952. $75.00
45. (Sendak) Krauss, Ruth. A VERY SPECIAL HOUSE. Black, white and blue illustrations
printed on yellow stock. Scholastic, (1970) 1st Scholastic ed. stated. Illustrated stiff paper covers.
7 7/8 X 10 1/8. (24 pages) Slight edge wear, bottom corner of pages slightly bumped. Very good.
First edition of the first Sendak illustrated book to be translated into a Foreign Language
46.PHOTO (Sendak) Krauss, Ruth. WOZU IST DIE WELT DA? (A Hole is to Dig). Drawings by
Maurice Sendak printed in brown ink on cream colored paper. Mosaik, Verlag, Berlin, Frankfurt,
Main. (1954) 1st German Ed. state: (Printed in Germany 1954) Cloth spine, illus. bds. 9 X 6 3/4.
(46 pages) Insciption & name on free end paper in English, dated 21.10.54 Bonn. Some slight
spotting internally. Good. no jacket. $250.00
A first edition of the first book illustrated by Sendak's to be translated into a foreign language.
German title translates to "What's out in the world?"
47. (Sendak) Lanes, Selma G. THE ART OF MAURICE SENDAK. Profusely illustrated from the works of Sendak including a Red Riding Hood Pop-up, a tipped in prototype for "Wild Things" and the fold-outs. Abrams (1980) 1st edition in original acetate jacket with white lettering. Neat appropriate inscription on the end paper dated 1983. Very Good+. $175.00 The book itself is a work of art, with a fine text and handsomely printed illustration.
48. (Sendak) Lanes, Selma G. DOWN THE RABBIT HOLE: Adventures and
Misadventures in the Realm of Children's Literature. Jacket design by Maurice Sendak &
illus. from two of his works. Illustrations throughout from historical children's books. Atheneum,
1971. 1st edition, stated. Light green cloth, blue bds. 8vo, 239 pages. Near Fine, Jacket
unclipped. Contains a chapter on Rackham & Sendak. Hanrahan A77. $65.00
The First Book Illustrated by Maurice Sendak
49.PHOTO (Sendak) Leigh, Dr. Maxwell & Hyman Ruchlis. Intro. by Harold C. Urey. ATOMICS
FOR THE MILLIONS. Illustrated with black & white stick figures by Maurice Sendak.
Whittlesey House, McGraw-Hill Book Co. (1947) 1st ed. Blue cloth dec. red & gold. 8vo, 281
pages. Top & bottom edges of spine & spine rubbed, tiny nick to bottom edge of final index
pages. Very good. Hardly a hint of the genius to come, but Sendak's first illustrated book. My
favorites are the small drawings of Einstein,pages 89 & 96. With herring bone end
papers.Hanrahan A1. SOLD
50. (Sendak) MacDonald, Betty. MRS. PIGGLE-WIGGLE'S FARM. Black & white drawings
by Maurice Sendak. Lippincott (1954) Thirteenth Printing. stated on copyright page and jacket.
Green cloth, 8vo, 127 pages. Very good, jacket clipped. $55.00 A scarce title in any edition.
51. (Sendak) MacDonald, George. 4 page afterword by W.H. Auden. THE GOLDEN KEY. 10
black & white drawings by Maurice Sendak. Farrar, Strauss & Giroux, (1967) 1st ed. stated. Blue
cloth dec.silver. 12mo, 85 pages. Book Fine, Jacket spine faded, bit dusty, price clipped. Good
jacket. Beautifully matched pictures to text. Hanrahan A67. $95.00
52. (Sendak) MacDonald, George. THE LIGHT PRINCESS. Black & white drawings by
Maurice Sendak. Farrar, Straus & Giroux (1969) 1st edition, stated. 12mo, blue cloth decorated
silver. A charming dedication on blank page "a fairy tale for my little sister from Vickie. X-mas
1969." Book Very good, jacket price clipped, dusty & brown line on front. $35.00
53. (Sendak) Marshall, James. SWINE LAKE. Outrageous, humorous color illustrations by
Sendak through out. Based on a text from the James Marshall estate. Michael Di Capua Books,
Harper Collins (1999) 1st edition, stated.Illustrated end papers. 4to, (40 pages) Near Fine.
unclipped jacket. The memory of Jim Marshall gave Sendak permission to be a bit wild. The
detail in the drawings make each worth a second look. Don't miss the "Old Fashioned Bookstore"
going out of business sale! $55.00
54. (Sendak) Opie, Iona & Peter, editors. I SAW ESAU: THE SCHOOLCHILD'S POCKET
BOOK. Color illus. by Maurice Sendak. Candlewick Press, (1992) 1st ed.stated. (1). Dark green
bds. 8vo, 160 pages. Near Fine, Jacket, unclipped. 1st edition with the original price on jacket
and number sequence. Hanrahan A137. $75.00
55. (Sendak) Opie, Iona & Peter. TAIL FEATHERS FROM MOTHER GOOSE: The Opie
Rhyme Book. Dust jacket,title page & cover plate by Sendak. Color illus. from various
illustrators with facsimile signatures of each Little Brown, (1988) 1st ed. stated (1). Coral bds.
with color plate. Oblong 4to, 124 pages. Near Fine, Jacket unclipped. Rhymes chosen by the
Opie's Opie Collection of Children's Literature. The Rhymes included are almost all previously
unpublished with new & creative illustrations by the greatest of the 2nd half of the 20th century
56. (Sendak)RIF. Reading Is Fundamental. ONCE UPON A TIME: Celebrating the Magic of
Children's Books in hoor of the 20th Anniversary of Reading Is Fundamental. Color
frontispiece by Maurice Sendak of Monsters & Max reading & celebrating+ 26 other illus.&
stories by other major authors. Putnam, (1986) 1st ed.stated. Cloth/bds. 4to, 64 pages. Name on
the end papers, Jacket price clipped. $55.00
57. (Sendak) Ritchie, Jean. SINGING FAMILY OF THE CUMBERLANDS. With Words
and Music for 42 Songs. Black & white drawings by Sendak used as chapter heads. Oxford
University Press, 1955. 1st ed. Cloth, 8vo, 182 pages. Ex-library: Stamps on end paper, bottom
edge & title pg, pocket-rear free end paper.some tape residue to ep. Still Good. Jacket unclip,but
chipped& label. A rare early Sendak illustrated book. Rear cover of jacket with music as required
for 1st ed. Hanrahan A20. $125.00
58.PHOTO (Sendak) Rosenbach Museum & Library. Wendy Van Wyck Good, Curator. Intro. by Nina
Auerbach. BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA: A CENTENNIAL EXHIBITION AT THE
ROSENBACH MUSEUM & LIBRARY. April 10- November 2, 1997. Photographs of
manuscripts & portrait of Stoker. Jacket with color illus. by Maurice Sendak. Philadelphia, 1997.
Limited to 1000. Red stiff paper, 4to, 34pgs. Near Fine. Jacket illus.by Sendak. $125.00
59. (Sendak) Schaubeck, Richard, translator & adaptor. from MME D'Aulnoy. FORTUNIA. 4
black & white drawings by Sendak. Frank Hallman (1974) Limited ed. No.59 of 326. Blue Paper
Covers, 8vo, (22 pages) Very slight fading to front cover.Very good. Signed at the rear
colophon by Sendak and the translator, Schaubeck.A complicated old French fairy tale of
mis-idendity, talking cabbages & hens, the kindness & innocence of Fortunia, and redemption.
Well told. Hanrahan A87. $175.00
60. (Sendak) Sendak, Philip. IN GRANDPA'S HOUSE. 5 single page & 1 double page black
& white drawings by Maurice Sendak. Harper & Row, (1985) 1st ed. stated. Grey-brown cloth.
8vo, 42 pages. Near Fine, Jacket,unclipped. The jacket price at right corner is present and correct.
Bottom of front flap is clipped. Hanrahan A125. $65.00
61. (Sendak) Sendak, Philip. Translated & adapted by Seymour Barofsky. IN GRANDPA'S
HOUSE. Grey tone drawings by Maurice Sendak. Harper & Row, (1985) 1st ed. stated. Slate
grey cloth with small dec. Sm. 8vo, 42 pages. Inscription on end paper. Very good. Jacket with
original price of 9.89 at bottom corner. $25.00
Published simultaneously with the first edition was this Harper Crest edition for libraries. The
binding & stitching is stronger than the trade edition. The jackets were the same for both
editions, just clipped depending on what book they covered.
62. (Sendak) Stockton, Frank. THE GRIFFIN AND THE MINOR CANON. Color illus. by
Maurice Sendak. Uncorrected Proof copy with instruction to reviewer stapled to front cover.
Harper & Row. (September 1986) Reissue. Illustrated paper covers with text laid-in. 8vo, 56
pages. Very good. Originally issued in 1963, this is the proof for the 1986 re-issue. $125.00
63. (Sendak) Stockton, Frank. THE GRIFFIN AND THE MINOR CANON. Color illus. by
Maurice Sendak. Holt, Rinehart & Winston, Holt Owlet title. (1963) 1st Paperback ed. (1)
Illustrated paper covers, 8vo, 55 pages. Very good. $45.00
64. (Sendak) Stockton, Frank R. THE GRIFFIN AND THE MINOR CANON. Imaginative
line drawings by Maurice Sendak, printed in pale shapes of yellow, pink & grey. Harper & Row,
Harper Trophy, (1986) 1st Harper Trophy ed.stated. Illus. stiff paper covers. 8vo, 55 pages.
Slight bow, still Very Good. $25.00 A nicely printed paperback edition.
65. (Sendak)Tesnohlidek, Rudolf. Trans.by Firkusny, Morgan & Jones. THE CUNNING
LITTLE VIXEN. Color illus.by Sendak through out. Illustrated end papers. Farrar,Straus &
Giroux,N.Y. (1985) 1st ed.stated. Green cloth, 4to, 184pgs. Fine, jacket, unclipped. $55.00
A translation of a Czech novel that was then made into an opera for which Sendak designed the
costumes & scenery.
66. (Sendak)Yorinks,Arthur. THE MIAMI GIANT. Large color illustrations by Sendak.
Harper Collins, Library edition. (1995) 1st ed. stated. Slick illus.bds. 4to, (40pgs) Fine, jacket,
67. Sendak, Maurice & Matthew Margolis. SOME SWELL PUP or Are You Sure You Want
A Dog? Color illus. in cartoon style by Maurice Sendak. Farrar, Straus & Giroux, (1976) 1st ed.
stated. Brown cloth, 8vo, (32 pages) Fine, Jacket, unclipped. $95.00 Hanrahan A97.
68. Sendak, Maurice & Matthew Margolis. SOME SWELL PUP or Are You Sure You Want
a Dog? Color illus.by Sendak in cartoon panels. FSG (1976) 1st ed.stated. Brown cloth, 8vo,
(32pgs) Fine, unclip dw. $95.00
69.PHOTO Sendak, Maurice & Oliver Knussen. HIGGLETY PIGGLETY POP! AND WHERE
THE WILD THINGS ARE, Libretti. No illustrations. Faber Music Limited, London. (1985)
1st ed. Red stiff paper covers. 8vo, 46 pages. Near Fine. $150.00
A first printing of the Libretti for two Sendak operas together with a color illustrated greeting
card from the Wild Things Opera. Sendak was commissioned by Glyndebourne Festival to write
an opera. Not in Hanrahan.
70. Sendak, Maurice, illus. Grimm. Newly translated by Ralph Manheim. DEAR MILLI. 18
pages of color illustration by Sendak. Farrar ,Straus & Giroux (1988) 1st ed.stated. Grey-green
cloth, Oblong 4to, (38pgs) Fine, dw, unclipped. $55.00 Text from a newly discovered &
previously unpublished manuscript. Masterful illustrations, complex & detailed.
Ephemera related to Maurice Sendak
71. (Sendak) Book Review. Book Review of In Grandpa's House, 1 page in THE HORN
BOOK MAGAZINE. Cover color illustration by Maurice Sendak. & blk/wh. illus. above table
of contents. The Horn Book Magazine. Jan/Feb. 1986. 1st ed. Illustrated paper covers. Very
good. $25.00 Article about Sendak illustrations appearing in other sources than books.
72. (Sendak) Cech, John. "MAURICE SENDAK: OFF THE PAGE" in THE HORN BOOK
MAGAZINE. 9 page article illus. with photos of Sendak characters come to life. Cover color
illus.by Sendak. The Horn Book Magazine. May/June 1986. 1st ed. Illus. paper covers. Mailing
label poorly removed from top of cover. Good. $20.00
73. (Sendak) Cianciolo, Patricia. ILLUSTRATIONS IN CHILDREN'S BOOKS. Literature
For Children. Black & white illustrations from sources mentioned including one of Sendak.
Wm. Brown, (1970) 1st ed. Paper Covers, 8vo, 130 pages. Pencil underlining, spots to cover.
Just Good. $20.00 16 references to Sendak's illustration.
74. (Sendak) Coburn, Randy Sue. "WILD THINGS' WIZARD TRIES OUT A NEW
CAREER"...an article in SMITHSONIAN. Vol.12, No. 10. Pages 88-93, illustrated article
with Color Photos by Enrico Ferorelli of Sendak with his critters & in his set designs.
Smithsonian. January 1982. 1st ed. Illustrated paper covers. 8 X 11 inch. 148 pages. Light edge
wear, Very good. $35.00 Explores Sendak's new career in designing sets and costumes for
stage & opera. Hanrahan B30.
75. (Sendak) Hentoff, Nat. Edited by Sheila Egoff, G.T. Stubbs & L.F.Ashley. "AMONG THE
WILD THINGS". A chapter in ONLY CONNECT: Readings on Children's Literature.
Article pages 323-356. With one black & white illustration. Oxford University Press, 1969. 1st
ed. Illus. stiff paper covers. 8vo, 471 pages. Writing on end papers. Good. $25.00
An excellent collection of articles on major Children's book authors and illustrators by reknown
authors. Hentoff article first appeared in New Yorker,1966. Hanrahan B5.
76.PHOTO Sendak, Maurice. (plastic shopping bag) Connecticut libraries-they're in the answer
business. One side illustrated with a monster pulling a wagon full of books. (1982) Opaque
plastic with plastic handle. 16 X 18, Showing fold marks & some nicks. Good. $65.00
77. Sendak, Maurice. Set of 3 colored post cards: Glyndebourne Festival Opera: L'heure
Espagnole, Clock Tower, L'enfant et Les Sortileges. Color illustrated by Sendak from costume
designs for the operas commissioned by Glyndebourne. Beacon Press, Sewes, Sussex. 1987.
Very good. $45.00
78. (Sendak) Glyndebourne Opera. GLYNDEBOURNE TOURING OPERA: Apollo
Theatre-Oxford. 27-31 October 1987. Color illustrations by Sendak for Cunning Little Vixen
& L'heure Espagnole & L'enfant et Les Sortileges. 1987. Single sheet with 3 folds. Very good.
An announcement for Sendak designed operas commissioned by Glyndebourne. $35.00
79. (Sendak) Kansas City Lyric Opera. OUR 29TH SEASON: WILD & WONDERFUL. 2
Sendak illustrations for Opera's for which he designed Sets & Costumes: Wild Things & The
Goose From Cairo. Kansas City Lyric Opera. 1986. Illustrated paper covers. 12mo, (16 pages)
Very good. An announcement of the programs for the 1986-1987 season. $35.00
80. (Sendak) Kaufman, Kim. CHRISTMAS CATALOG 10, 1985. from Kim Kaufman,
Bookseller. Cover illustration by Sendak from a Christmas card for sale in the catalog, entitled A
Christmas Mystery. Kim Kaufman. 1985. Slick illustrated stiff paper cover. 8 X 10 1/2,. 40
pages. Very good. $35.00 This bookseller's catalog features 4 books for sale by Sendak, plus
the card which she used as her cover art.
81.PHOTO (Sendak) National Children's Theater. THE NIGHT KITCHEN, A National Children's
Theater. Tiny black & white drawings by Sendak on this Promotional pamphlet soliciting
subscribers. The Night Kitchen, A National Children's Theater (circa 1992) 3 fold flyer. 8 1/2 X
14 when opened, Single sheet, Very good. $25.00
A flyer soliciting subscribers to The Night Kitchen, A National Children's Theater founded by
Sendak & Arthur Yorinks.
82. (Sendak) New York City Opera. Cunning Little Vixen in STAGE BILL: New York City
Opera, Lincoln Center. August 1991. Costumes & Set designed by Sendak. 1 color & 2
blk/wh. photos of costumes with 4 page article on the Opera. New York City Opera. 1991. 1st ed.
Illus.paper covers, Stapled. 5 1/4 X 8 3/4. 38 pages. Very good. $25.00 Opera program given
83. (Sendak) New York City Opera. DARING DO. New York City Opera Season Now
Through November 18. (Announcement from middle of season) One page illustration by
Sendak for L'Heure Espagnole & L'Enfant et les Sortileges for which he designed the set &
costumes. New York City Opera, 1990. Deep blue, lettered paper covers. Stapled. 7 1/4 X 9 1/2.
(16 pages) Very good. $15.00 A late announcement obviously to generate more ticket
84. (Sendak) New York City Opera. ENTER A WORLD WHERE ARMCHAIRS SING
AND TEACUPS DANCE. New York City Opera Summer/Fall Calendar. Sendak blk/wh.
illus. for L'Enfant et les Sortileges, an opera with sets & costumes designed by Sendak. New
York City Opera. 1989. Large single sheet with 2 folds. Folded size: 5 3/4 X 13 1/2. Top 3
inches rumbled & small tears to edges. Just Good. $20.00 A calendar of the opera season
& an announcement of further productions of Sendak designed Operas in the future.
85. (Sendak) New York City Opera. NO ELEPHANTS. New York City Opera 1990
Season July 31 Through November 18. (Announcement of the season) One page illustration
by Sendak for L'Heure Espagnole & L'Enfant et les Sortileges for which he designed the set &
costumes. New York City Opera. 1990. Turquoise, lettered paper cover.Stapled. 7 1/8 X 9 1/2.,
(20 pages) Very good. $15.00
86. (Sendak) Sadler, Glenn Edward. THE HORN BOOK MAGAZINE: MAURICE
SENDAK AND DR.SEUSS, A Converstion...An Exchange Between Two Virtuosos. An
article by Glenn Edward Sadler who interviewed the two masters. 7 pages. Horn Book Magazine,
Sept/Oct.1989. 1st ed. Illustrated paper covers. Very good. $35.00
87. (Sendak) Schiller, Justin G. CONTEMPORARY CHILDREN'S BOOK
ILLUSTRATORS, First Annual Exhibition, July 1 through August 8, 1980. Ilus. catalog
with the works for sale including original drawing by Sendak entitled New York Is Book
Country, a large monster Schiller, 1980. 1st ed. Paper covers, (16 pages) Very good. $45.00
88.PHOTO (Sendak) Seattle Opera. SEATTLE OPERA PROGRAM: THE CUNNING LITTLE VIXEN. 1994/95 Season. Cover illus. with costume design of Sendak's. Pages 13-15 describe the opera and there are 3 Sendak drawings. Seattle Opera, 1994. 1st ed. Illus. paper covers. 8 1/4 X 10 3/4. 31 pages. Very good. $25.00 Small photo of Sendak with biographical notes in "About the Artists" section of the program.